Friday, May 7, 2010

The Chiricahuas and Canyon of Death












I know, I know. It's been four months since I last blogged, but hey! I put information on an author's page for Amazon! It's not like I haven't been doing anything!

My webpage is going to expire one of these days soon, and in my next contract I'm making sure I put in some declaration that writing blogs isn't one of my duties. It's not in there now, but that publisher insists I do this. But, if I put it in writing that I dont' have to....hmmm. Wonder if she'll go along with that!?

I've been spending a lot of time in the Chiricahuas the last couple of months. It's probably some of the most beautiful country in Arizona that I've seen. Everywhere I go though, I insist the country is beautiful. But it's true. I must say though, that some of the Steens Mountains in Oregon and the Sisters Wilderness area is pretty spectacular, but the Chiricahuas probably beats them out overall.

The new book is progressing...slowly. I'm not sure why at this point. I've gotten a huge reprieve because of the Casey Tibbs book the publisher is working on, but not that huge of a reprieve. At least I know where I'm going in it. Actually, I've known all along where I'm going - I just haven't been sure how to get there. I pretty much have that figured out, but it looks like I've got a hell of a lot of riding to do this summer to check out some of the areas I'm putting in the book.

For a while I was thinking of ending the Jake Silver series, but at this point I'm thinking I may continue it, but I'm going to have to make some big changs to do so. The next book isn't under any deadline though, so I'm good! I'm staying with the western book publisher I now have, by the way, and that's Moonlight Mesa Associates.

I'm also thinking of getting a mule. This mountainous terrain is hard on my horse, and he's not young anymore. Now a mule could probably handle just about anything...but would a self-respecting cowboy be seen on a mule? I've heard nothing but good about these animals. I'll check it out next May when I go to Mule Days with Moonlight Mesa in Bishop, CA.

Had a good time in Tombstone. Signed a lot of books on Saturday (especially Saving Tom Black), met some crazy characters, got drunk that night...a good time was had by all. I'll be at the Pine/Strawberry Festival for one day only...probably Saturday. Stop by and say hi.

I'll also try to be at the Show Low Event as well as Heber/Overgaard, but not sure I'll make it to Ruidoso, although the Wild West Historical Convention sounds interesting. I'll be picking up some rodeos instead. Did I tell you I was a bull-dogger? I don't go by Jere James in rodeos, by the way. Go by my real name. Can't make it to Big Bear in August either, but I may get to Kanab, Utah, later that month.

Meanwhile, I've gotten lots of emails from people who really are enjoying my books, and that really makes me proud. I thank each and every person. Your words are music to my ears...well, since they're written, I guess I'd have to say they're desserts for my eyes...???

Apache has picked up a couple of other terrific reviews. I thank you. Each of you who says something good about my books deserves my sincerest thanks.

Jere

No comments:

Post a Comment